Thursday 17 May 2018

Top Five Wednesday: Most Anticipated Releases


Most Anticipated Releases

Top 5 Wednesday is a group challenge created by Lainey and run by Sam that includes a new book-related topic every week. Check out the goodreads group for topics and to interact with the community.

This month, Top Five Wednesday is doing rewind topics, so you can choose any topic from previous months/years. To be honest, I'm actually just assuming that "most anticipated releases" has been a topic in the past, because I wanted to talk about some books that are coming out and here's a good reason to do so. So without further ado, some books coming out in 2018 that I really want to read.

5. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik 

I've actually never read Novik's beloved Uprooted, nor do I have a huge desire to do so based on the premise, but I really liked the synopsis of this novel. Spinning Silver follows Miryem, the daughter of a moneylender who takes on the task of collection from her fellow villagers. Soon, she grows a reputation for turning silver to gold, and becomes wrapped up in the kingdom's politics, as well as the creatures who haunt the woods. This book just sounds like it's going to be brutal, which I'm excited for. I also am personally a really big fan of magical realism, and though this may prove to become more than that as the story progresses, it doesn't look like one of those fantasy stories where the magic system is really pertinent and overwhelming.

4. Mercy Point by Anna Snoekstra

This book does not fall under my usually genre preferences, but it feels like it has similar vibes to Alexandra Sirowy's First We Were IV, which held a lot of promise on the outset even if I didn't end up loving it. Mercy Point starts off with a kind of Breakfast Club style set up, where a group of teens who are segregated from each other by their stereotypes, bond via the internet. The group are best friends online because they all believe themselves to be adopted, but as the story unfolds they find that the secrets of the parentages and their pasts are much more complicated and much more sinister.

3. The Corset by Laura Purcell

This Victorian thriller examines the dichotomy between a beautiful heiress and a poor woman awaiting trial for murder. Dorothea visits the prison as part of her charitable work (I imagine in the vein of Gaskell's North & South) where she meets a teenaged seamstress named Ruth, who claims that her sewing is cursed. Ruth tells Dorothea the story of what led to her being incarcerated, attributing the murder to a supernatural power inherent to her stitching, and Dorothea must then decide whether or not Ruth is mad, or a very clever murderer indeed. This just sounds like fun, and I'm still looking for a novel to compare to Anna Hope's The Ballroom, which has a lot of similar themes and motifs.

2. Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak 

For context, I have not read The Book Thief not because I don't think it will be an incredible story, but because I have A Thing™ when it comes to stories revolving around war- particularly world wars. I only barely made it through the new Wonder Woman film because for some reason it's just this huge anxiety trigger for me and I just have a hard time with it. So when I say I haven't read The Book Thief, it's okay, I believe you that it's the best thing you've ever read. Which is why I want to read Bridge of Clay. The description on Goodreads is vague, but it looks like it centres around the family relations of five brothers whose father disappeared, and it looks beautiful.


1. The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke 

Unpopular opinion that I talk about all the time, but I loved Tucholke's Wink Poppy Midnight, which was this charming little magical realism kind of story driven by a love of fairytales and dark whimsy. And this novel, which was allegedly bid on by six different publishing houses despite the lukewarm reception to Wink Poppy Midnight a few years ago, sounds even better. Again, there isn't much by way of plot available just yet, except that it's a dark fantasy standalone following women mercenaries seeking glory. I... honestly don't even need to hear anything else. If that doesn't intrigue you, then I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment