Monday 9 May 2022

5 Poems for When You've Been Ghosted


It happens to the best of us, doesn't it? The waiting, the yearning, the checking your phone every minute and a half because maybe you've just missed it, maybe you didn't feel the buzz in your back pocket this time and they're waiting for your reply. But sometimes, they aren't. Here's to the rest of us whose hearts ache from the possibility more than anything.

Also, another casual reminder that I am just a poetry lover who likes words, and I'm in no way an expert in the subject. This series exists to share with you some poems that I like and to talk about the way words make us feel; I hope you can enjoy it for that. Click through for the full poems and audio recordings. 


There are people to live for and people to die            for I comfort myself: there are people to sleep with and people to wake with            there are fifty thousand years of waiting between one ping            and the next ping            I am waiter worshipper of pings            I text myself to test the mechanism keep the phone on my body            at all times keep my body in the condo where electricity is and also the internet            I cannot shower with the phone on a towel at arms reach cannot            sleep without            the phone beneath my pillow on a gut string hooked through my cheek            the pings yanking me from my watery dreams            outside if I must be outside away from the electrical sockets I—but I            never go outside there is no order to the waiting he pings I salivate instantly            the joy in my bark is so sore is so severe it is almost rage            I say hello this rationing is waterboarding please I need more air            he says I breathe into your lungs hello            I say am I not enough or are you            not enough?            he says my heart isn't a jar isn't a swimming pool the more love I have the more love I have            I comfort myself: she might know his morning smell but she            doesn't know her own fleecing            she might know his morning smell but I know her name and mine.

2. Sadness Workshop by Stevie Edwards 

Your sadness is unbelievable. We don't believe in your sadness... You need to flesh out the sadness. Give it some girth-- an ass that won't get off the couch. A taste for wine and ice cream and Taco Bell. Give the sadness chapped lips, an earache, a hip that pops on snowy days. Give it a lot of snow.


somewhere     the man who doesn’t love me    though i wish
i could say the same        is pacing a supermarket floor
his body   a reflection     in the waxed tile
really he is two men  one flesh man    one floor man
& both are moving in a direction away from me
they are picking out fistfuls of roses or maybe   tulips
maybe assorted flowers with daffodils
& he knows the woman he really loves will dip her nose
into them like a doe & say     thank you  thank you
& she will kiss him with her tacky lips & for the first time
i am not angry that he might lay her down
& ask if he can do  the things he will do
of course she will say yes that is what    you say
when you love someone         right?
it’s what i would say    & this time  not
because i’ve learned what happens
when you say no or when you say  nothing   at all

4. Blues for Almost Forgotten Music by Roxanne Beth Johnson

I am so often alone these days with echoes of these old songs
and my ghosted lovers.  
I am so often alone that I can almost hear it, can almost feel
the half-touch of others,
can almost taste the licked clean spine of the melody I've lost. 


I like to think of your silence as the love letters you will not write me,
as two sax solos from two ages across a stage, learning the languages
of kissing with your eyes closed. I like to think of you as a god
to whom I no longer pray, as a god I aspire to. I like the opening of your joined palms,
which is like an urn where my ashes find a home. The music of your lashes;
the silent way your body wears out mine.
Mostly, I like to think of you at night when a black screen of shining dust shines
from your mines to the edge of my skin, where you are a lamp of flutters.
I remember the spectral lashes–marigold, tamarind, secret thing between your thighs,
of closed kissing eyes. At night, the possibility of you is a heavy
sculpture of heavy bronze at the side of my bed,
a god. And I pray you into life. Into flesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment